Saturday, May 17, 2014

Notes to Self and Funny Stories for the Rest of You!

Note to self: if you are carrying your phone in one hand, you probably don't want to carry a bottle of PowerAde in your other hand.  Without a third hand, how will you open the bottle?!

Yup - that was me.  I ended up carrying the stupid bottle the whole time and never took a sip from it!  It's not for a lack of trying, but when I attempted to open up the bottle, it had the perfect location to tell my RunKeeper to stop.  Luckily, RunKeeper asks you to click if you really do want to stop the activity.  It was damn hard to see the screen, and (truth be told) I'm lucky I hit the right part to say, "For the love of God, don't stop the activity!"

My run was definitely longer than what RunKeeper showed because my hand, some sweat, the cord, or who knows what else clicked to really, really stop the activity.  The good news was, this was not too much before I would truly be done, and I know I kept up my pace from that point until I handed off to Beau.

Funny story time: I anticipated a best case scenario of an 8 minute per mile pace for the bridge, and with an estimated 7.3 miles to do, it would take me a touch under an hour.  That's what I told my team.  Well, they went to get lunch at Publix.  Normally, when they pass one of our runners, the driver beeps a few times.  I never saw them or heard the beeps (which I expected in the beginning of my run); I just figured I was in my "zone" and not paying attention.  No biggie!  Well, I'm nearing the end of my run, as in probably 3 minutes (or less) to go, and I see/hear them pass me!  Sweet Jesus!  Beau was awesome because he must've jumped out of the car and quickly gotten over to the other side of the road so I could hand off to him without having to wait and waste valuable time.  It's not like they were lollygagging and enjoying a lazy lunch; they just thought that my estimate would be accurate.  Heck, I thought my time estimate would be accurate too, but I just did a pace that felt comfortable.  (I'm still surprised that I could maintain a less-than-7:30 pace!  If I had set out to have a 7:27 pace, I don't think I could've/would've maintained it.)

1 comment: