Friday, April 25, 2014

I'm Comin' for You, 7 Mile Bridge!

A while back, team captain, Ryan, emailed us all to ask if there were any volunteers to take the 7 Mile Bridge.  I wrote back and said that I didn't mind taking it, but if anyone else wanted it, I didn't need to have it.  For a while, it sounded like Ryan might take it.  This will be his last Keys100 before he leaves FL, so he thought he might take that leg.  The tentative plan was that whoever took that leg of the race would run only once in the morning so energy could be conserved.  (Last year, Hans ran the 7 Mile Bridge at about 1pm, and it was hot, hot, hot!)

Well, as per today's email that Ryan sent out to the team, it looks like I'm taking the 7 Mile Bridge portion of the race!  Yup, you read that right: it's me doing the bridge!

I'm excited and a bit nervous too.  Perhaps it's a good thing that this will be my third time running the bridge; but maybe it's not so good that I know exactly what to expect!  (Did I tell you how bad my brain was trying to Jedi mind f*ck me during the 7 Mile Bridge run earlier this month?!  Seriously - it was bad!  I know I'm a headcase normally, but this was waaaaaay different!)

My philosophy is that I may have to do my own Jedi mind f*ck on my brain.  Interesting thought, right?!  Step 1 is training in the heat, out in the sun, and on bridges!  It's been a while since I've done any bridge work, so I think that's what I'm going to start making my Saturday mornings.  Then, I'll do another run later in the day to practice having more than just one run a day and doing it in the heat!  (Oh, speaking of the heat, get this: I found the perfect late afternoon sunny run location: outside of my 'hood on Darwin Blvd.  Yup, it's got virtually zero shade!  How do I know?  I ran it this evening at about 5:30pm during my second run, and it was a bear!)

Now, for your musical entertainment, please enjoy the wonderfully cheesy and still totally awesome "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins.  This was today's first song played during my first run.  There's something special about having that as the first song!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment